Haparanda, with Stadshotellet at its centre, at periods has been the European town with the fastest pulse rate. This was especially true at the time when Haparanda was the only point of contact between the West and the large empires in the East – Russia, Persia and China.
Here, revolutionaries, anarchists, spies, military personnel, counts and sawmill owners have made their mark on history. The scent, the mystery and excitement of this age are forever etched into the exterior of the hotel, and indeed in the interior, where the decor has now regained the sparkle of its golden age
Haparanda Stadshotell was opened amidst pomp and solemnity on 5 December, 1900. The building was designed by the architects Fritz Ullrich and Eduard Hallqvist from Stockholm. The hotel was built in the classical style, the master builder and the carpenters coming from Sundsvall, Sweden, the stucco workers came from Italy, much of the building material was from Silesia, etc.